Pages

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Happy Belated Groundhog Day!

I know this is a day late, but I don't care. Happy Groundhog Day! I'm not going to lie, I have no idea what the actual point of Groundhog Day is, and I'm to lazy to look it up on Google. But isn't the basic idea of it completely and utterly stupid? I mean, we wait for a small animal to wake up, and we "know" if there is going to be six weeks of winter or an early spring...WHO THINKS OF THESE THINGS?!

Well, it got me thinking about some of the dumbest holidays (in principle) that we celebrate (in no particular order).

1. Halloween: Little kids (and college students) dress up to walk around the town going up to complete strangers' doors to ask for candy. 

2. Groundhog Day: See above.

3. April Fools Day: People pull mean tricks on each other all day because it's funny...unless they happen to you. Then it's not cool.

4. May Day. We secretly go to up someone's house, and leave a basket of flowers for them. I wonder what people would think if you did it on any other day. It would either completely make their day, or they'd call the cops thinking they had a stalker.

5. Valentine's Day. It costs people an inordinate amount of money, and it makes me vomit. I care about my significant other every day of the year. I don't need to spend a million dollars one day to prove it.


Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not saying I don't enjoy these holidays (except Valentine's Day), but just the basic idea of them is just a little weird.

By the way (BEE TEA DUBS), what did the groundhog even say? Does anyone even care?

1 comment:

  1. valentine's day is also national condom day- now that's worth celebrating.

    ReplyDelete